Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Causes

As you can see by the little banner off to the side, I'm a wildlife lover. I've always loved nature and felt a responsibility to the planet. Yeah, I'm a tree hugger. I can live with that though, because as a child, I recognized that we only have one planet and unless we take care of it, we are doomed as a species. Most people I don't think really grasp that idea and always assume it won't impact them or their generation. It's just not true though. Already we feel the impact of dwindling resources with the price of everything going up year after year. Scientists are predicting the oil wells will dry up within this century and that even the simplest of pleasures, like chocolate will be no more due to over farming.

The saddest part of all though, is that rather then focus on the survival of our species and those we depend on, we bicker and feud amongst ourselves. Truly depressing that after 10,000 years as a people, we still can't get our priorities in order. So, now that I've finished my tirade for the day, I want to bring to light one of my favorite activist groups, whom I feel are actually making a difference.

The Sea Shepherds. They're on Animal Planet on the show Whale Wars (I highly recommend watching) and year after year, they actively interfere with the Japanese whaling fleets attempts to slaughter these beautiful creatures. Reading their articles, you will quickly discover that they also engage in seal, dolphin, and other aquatic animal preservation. They are a conservation group dedicated to protecting the habitat that covers 2/3 of our world. I could go on for hours about the work they do and why I feel it's important, but if anyone is interested, you're better off checking it out first hand at Sea Shepherd.org

No comments:

Post a Comment